22/04/2010

United Kingdom Smiling

Yesterday I took my little sister to McDonalds (under much protest from me, but I decided to give her a treat), walking through the high street I couldn’t help but notice the drabness an uniformity of almost everyone in sight. Everywhere I looked, old folk in shirts an slacks, young peeps in tracksuits and hoods, nearly every female had a Croyden facelift (for those not sure of this, imagine a girl with long hair who thought scraping it back to show the shape of her skull and tied with a massive scrunchie would be a good look EVERY BLOODY DAY), it made me wish I could inject some colour and smiles into these people, then in one of those epiphany moments, between the detritus of society filled bus stop and the doors to my sisters favourite restaurant it came to me……..

National Costume Day

Imagine it, everything would be better.
You need more milk? You stroll down the road dressed like a cowboy and get served by a giant chilli.
Your off to see your friend? You hop on a bus like the bunny your dressed as and are driven to your destination by a double decker driving dragon.
There would pubs full of pirates, cars full of clowns, supermarkets full of Superheroes.

For one day the United Kingdom will smile. I’m sure there would be some who think this is a dumb idea and would never work and think anyone in costume looks silly, but if enough of us are dressed up, the minority would be the boring grey be-suited monotony loving drabs and they will realise life is better when your dressed like a monster.
I’ve never started a movement before but I think (and I hope) that just by writing this, masquerade seeds will be planted and in time they will grow into a marvellous tree that’s dressed like a bush and will bring forth fruit to fill all the high streets with colour and smiles.

Join with me, make this a reality……let us have our National Costume Day

No comments:

Post a Comment